This is a quick post to relate something scary that happened with Mae last night. We were getting ready for bed and she wanted to go out on the porch for a drink, (she has a bubbler fountain on porch) so I opened the door to let her out. She came back inside and my husband yelled to me that she had something in her mouth. Well, it was part of a silver jade plant that is in a pot on the porch, been there all summer along with Aloe and other succulents. We pulled the leaf out of her mouth and within a minute she started having what appeared to be an asthma attack, wheezing and having difficulty breathing!! It lasted about 10 scary minutes and finally she was ok!! A quick check online though told me something I didn’t know….Jade and Aloe are toxic to dogs! While it’s not likely they will consume enough to poison themselves, they can have irritation, stomach upset and other symptoms. I had seen Mae nibble the ends of the aloe but never thought much about it. Who knows why at 11 pm she decided to start eating a jade plant that she has sat next to all summer?? Dogs!!! Anyway, just a heads up if you love succulents and dogs….like Lilies and cats, they might not go together!
Dogs and Houseplants…
And of course, the obligatory photo of Mae….keeping cool on a hot day in a mountain stream!